1. | 要;想要;希望to have a desire or a wish for sth |
Do you want some more tea? 你再要点儿茶吗? | |
She's always wanted a large family. 她一直希望生一大群孩子。 | |
All I want is the truth. 我只想知道实情。 | |
Thanks for the present─it's just what I wanted . 感谢赠我这份礼物,这正是我想要的。 | |
I can do whatever I want. 我想干什么就可以干什么。 | |
The last thing I wanted was to upset you. 我最不希望做的事就是惹你不高兴。 | |
The party wants her as leader. 这个政党希望由她做领袖。 | |
What do you want to do tomorrow? 明天你想做什么? | |
‘It's time you did your homework.’ ‘I don't want to!’ “你该做作业了。”“我就是不想做!” | |
There are two points which I wanted to make. 我想要指出的有两点。 | |
I just wanted to know if everything was all right. 我只是想知道是否一切都好。 | |
You can come too, if you want . 如果你想来也可以来。 | |
Do you want me to help? 你要我帮忙吗? | |
We didn't want this to happen. 我们并不希望发生这样的事情。 | |
I want it (to be) done as quickly as possible. 我希望这件事尽快完成。 | |
I don't want you coming home so late. 我不希望你这么晚回家。 | |
Do you want your coffee black or white? 你的咖啡里加不加奶? |
2. | (informal) 需要to need sth |
We'll want more furniture for the new office. 我们的新办公室需要添些家具。 | |
What this house wants is a good clean. 这房子需要好好打扫一下。 | |
The plants want watering daily. 这些植物需要天天浇水。 | |
The plants want to be watered daily. 这些植物需要天天浇水。 |
3. | [usupass] ~ sb (+ adv./prep.) 需要…在场to need sb to be present in the place or for the purpose mentioned |
She's wanted immediately in the director's office. 她得马上到主任办公室去。 | |
Excuse me, you're wanted on the phone. 对不起,有你的电话。 |
4. | (informal) ~ to do sth (用于提出建议)应该used to give advice to sb, meaning ‘should’ or ‘ought to’ |
If possible, you want to avoid alcohol. 你应尽可能避免饮酒。 | |
He wants to be more careful. 他应多加小心。 | |
You don't want to do it like that. 你不应那样做。 |
5. | ~ sb 对…有性欲to feel sexual desire for sb |
6. | ~ sth 缺少;缺乏to lack sth |
He doesn't want courage. 他有的是勇气。 |
I've tried to ask her advice, but she doesn't want to know(= about my problems) . 我尝试向她请教,但她却不愿理会。 | |
‘How much was it?’ ‘ You don't want to know ’(= it is better if you don't know) . “这要多少钱?”“你还是不知道的好。” |
I've tried to ask her advice, but she doesn't want to know(= about my problems) . 我尝试向她请教,但她却不愿理会。 | |
‘How much was it?’ ‘ You don't want to know ’(= it is better if you don't know) . “这要多少钱?”“你还是不知道的好。” |
Are you trying to say you want rid of me? 你是在说要甩掉我吗? |
Are you trying to say you want rid of me? 你是在说要甩掉我吗? |
1. | [c][usupl] 需要的东西;想望的东西something that you need or want |
She spent her life pandering to the wants of her children. 她一生都在设法满足子女的需要。 |
2. | [u][sing] ~ of sth 缺少;缺乏;不足a situation in which there is not enough of sth; a lack of sth |
a want of adequate medical facilities 缺少足够的医疗设施 |
3. | [u] 贫穷;贫困;匮乏the state of being poor, not having food, etc. |
Visitors to the slums were clearly shocked to see so many families living in want . 到过贫民窟的人看到有这么多的家庭生活在贫苦之中显然震惊不已。 |
The project failed for want of financial backing. 这个项目由于缺少财政支援而告吹。 | |
We call our music ‘postmodern’ for the want of a better word. 由于没有更合适的词来表达,我们把我们的音乐称作“后现代风格”。 |
The project failed for want of financial backing. 这个项目由于缺少财政支援而告吹。 | |
We call our music ‘postmodern’ for the want of a better word. 由于没有更合适的词来表达,我们把我们的音乐称作“后现代风格”。 |
The present system is in want of a total review. 目前的系统需要全面的复查。 |
The present system is in want of a total review. 目前的系统需要全面的复查。 |
If he doesn't manage to convince them, it won't be for want of trying(= he has tried hard) . 如果他没能使他们信服,这倒不是由于努力不够。 |
If he doesn't manage to convince them, it won't be for want of trying(= he has tried hard) . 如果他没能使他们信服,这倒不是由于努力不够。 |