1. | 另外;其他used to refer to people or things that are additional or different to people or things that have been mentioned or are known about |
Mr Harris and Mrs Bate and three other teachers were there. 哈里斯老师、贝特老师和其他三位老师在场。 | |
Are there any other questions? 还有其他问题没有? | |
I can't see you now─ some other time , maybe. 我现在不能见你,也许别的时候吧。 | |
Two buildings were destroyed and many others damaged in the blast. 在这次爆炸中,两座建筑物被摧毁,还有许多建筑物遭损坏。 | |
This option is preferable to any other. 这个选择比其他任何一个都好。 | |
Some designs are better than others . 有一些设计比其他的好。 |
2. | (指两个人或事物中的第二个)那个,另一个used to refer to the second of two people or things |
My other sister is a doctor. 我的另一个妹妹是医生。 | |
One son went to live in Australia and the other one was killed in a car crash. 一个儿子移居澳大利亚,另一个在撞车事故中身亡。 | |
He raised one arm and then the other. 他先举起一只手,然后举起另一只。 | |
You must ask one or other of your parents. 你必须问你的父亲或母亲。 |
3. | (指一组中其余的人或事物)其余的,另外的used to refer to the remaining people or things in a group |
I'll wear my other shoes─these are dirty. 这双鞋脏了,我要穿别的鞋。 | |
‘I like this one.’ ‘What about the other ones ?’ “我喜欢这个。”“其他那些怎么样?” | |
I went swimming while the others played tennis. 我去游泳,而其他人去打网球了。 |
4. | (指与说话人所在位置等相反的方向或地点)另一边,对面,相反的方向used to refer to a place, direction, etc. that is the opposite to where you are, are going, etc. |
I work on the other side of town. 我在城的另一边工作。 | |
He crashed into a car coming the other way. 他撞上了迎面开来的汽车。 | |
He found me, not the other way round/around . 他发现了我,而不是我发现了他。 |