1. | [ubn] 不用的;闲置的that is not being used or is not needed at the present time |
We've got a spare bedroom, if you'd like to stay. 要是愿意你就住下,我们空着一间卧室。 | |
I'm afraid I haven't got any spare cash . 恐怕我手头没有多余的现金。 | |
Are there any tickets going spare(= are there any available, not being used by sb else) ? 有多余的票吗? |
2. | [obn] 备用的;外加的kept in case you need to replace the one you usually use; extra |
a spare key/tyre 备用钥匙╱轮胎 | |
Take some spare clothes in case you get wet. 多带几件衣服,以备身上弄湿了好穿。 |
3. | 空闲的;空余的available to do what you want with rather than work |
He's studying music in his spare time . 他在空闲时间学音乐。 | |
I haven't had a spare moment this morning. 我一上午一会儿也没闲着。 |
4. | 瘦的;瘦高的thin, and usually quite tall |
1. | 抽出;拨出;留出;匀出to make sth such as time or money available to sb or for sth, especially when it requires an effort for you to do this |
I'd love to have a break, but I can't spare the time just now. 我是想休息一下,可眼下找不出时间。 | |
Could you spare one of your staff to help us out? 你能不能从你手下抽一个人过来帮帮我们? | |
We can only spare one room for you. 我们只能给你腾出一个房间。 | |
You should spare a thought for(= think about) the person who cleans up after you. 你应该为随后打扫的人着想啊。 | |
Surely you can spare me a few minutes? 你应该能为我空出几分钟时间吧? |
2. | 省得;免去to save sb/yourself from having to go through an unpleasant experience |
He wanted to spare his mother any anxiety. 他不想让母亲有丝毫的担忧。 | |
Please spare me(= do not tell me) the gruesome details . 那些让人毛骨悚然的细节就请你不要讲了。 | |
You could have spared yourself an unnecessary trip by phoning in advance. 你要是先打个电话就用不着跑这一趟了。 | |
She was spared from the ordeal of appearing in court. 她无须出庭受折磨了。 |
3. | [usupass] ~ sb/sth (from sth) 饶恕;赦免;放过;使逃脱to allow sb/sth to escape harm, damage or death, especially when others do not escape it |
They killed the men but spared the children. 他们杀死了大人,但放过了孩子。 | |
During the bombing only one house was spared(= was not hit by a bomb) . 在轰炸中,只有一座房子幸免。 | |
Hong Kong was spared a direct hit, but the storm still brought heavy rains and powerful winds. 香港虽然未遭正面吹袭,但风暴还是带来了大雨和强风。 |
4. | ~ no effort, expense, etc. 不吝惜(时间、金钱)to do everything possible to achieve sth or to do sth well without trying to limit the time or money involved |
He spared no effort to make her happy again. 为使她重新快乐起来,他想尽了办法。 | |
No expense was spared in furnishing the new office. 装潢新办公室不惜工本。 |
5. | not ~ yourself 不遗余力to work as hard as possible |
I've got absolutely no money to spare this month. 我这个月一点儿富余钱都没有。 | |
We arrived at the airport with five minutes to spare. 我们赶到机场时还剩五分钟。 |
I've got absolutely no money to spare this month. 我这个月一点儿富余钱都没有。 | |
We arrived at the airport with five minutes to spare. 我们赶到机场时还剩五分钟。 |