1. | [t] 预料;预期;预计to think or believe that sth will happen or that sb will do sth |
We are expecting a rise in food prices this month. 我们预计这个月的食物价格会上涨。 | |
Don't expect sympathy from me! 休想得到我的同情! | |
That's not the sort of behaviour I expect of you! 我不敢相信你竟有那样的行为! | |
You can't expect to learn a foreign language in a few months. 不要指望在几个月内就能学会一门外语。 | |
I looked back, half expecting to see someone following me. 我回过头去,预计可能看到有人跟踪我。 | |
House prices are expected to rise sharply. 预计房价会急剧上涨。 | |
Do you really expect me to believe you? 你真以为我会相信你吗? | |
Many people were expecting (that) the peace talks would break down. 许多人预料和平谈判会破裂。 | |
It is expected that the report will suggest some major reforms. 预计这个报告会提出一些重大的改革。 |
2. | [t] 等待;期待;盼望to be waiting for sb/sth to arrive, as this has been arranged |
to expect a visit/call/letter from sb 等待某人的来访╱电话╱来信 | |
Are you expecting visitors? 你在等客人吗? | |
We were expecting him yesterday. 我们昨天一直在等他。 | |
We were expecting him to arrive yesterday. 我们一直盼望着他昨天到达。 |
3. | 要求;期望;指望to demand that sb will do sth because it is their duty or responsibility |
Her parents expected high standards from her. 她的父母对她的期望很高。 | |
He's still getting over his illness, so don't expect too much from him. 他仍处于康复期,所以不要对他期望过高。 | |
Are you clear what is expected of you? 你清楚大家对你的期望吗? | |
They expected all their children to be high achievers. 他们期望自己所有的孩子都大有作为。 | |
I expect to be paid promptly for the work. 我希望立即给付工钱。 |
4. | [i][t] (informal) 猜想;认为;料想used when you think sth is probably true |
‘Will you be late?’ ‘ I expect so .’ “你会迟到吗?”“我想会的。” | |
‘Are you going out tonight?’ ‘ I don't expect so .’ “你今晚要出去吗?”“我想不会吧。” | |
‘Who's eaten all the cake?’ ‘Tom, I expect/I expect it was Tom.’ “谁把蛋糕都吃光了?”“我想是汤姆吧。” |